Monday, July 18, 2011

Stress??? WHAT STRESS????



Being on vacation has its perks. For one thing, it gives you some good time to think…and lots of thinking have I definitely done. For a while, I’ve had something on my mind that has been weighing on me heavily, and until I get it taken care of, it’ll keep bothering me (so, therefore, of course, some of my friends keep badgering me to do something about it. Ha ha). And, as I write this, the time is quickly approaching for me to take care of it.


I am definitely quite nervous about what will happen when I open the box in a bit. I think what is bothering me the most about this is the unknown of everything. From one second, to one minute, to one hour to the next, it can definitely be uncertain. Sure you can say you’re going to do this, or that; but as for the consequences of that decision, you never really know what’s going to happen. Who’s to say that you’ll even get to do what you say you’re going to do…and never even know what those consequences could be? (James 4:14)


Then, you wonder, “Why am I flipping out over this? I don’t even know what’s going to happen!” But that’s just it. We worry and worry about things when we don’t even know what will happen. Even when we think we know, the outcome most of the time surprises us (I’ve found this out quite often).


As young people, we have quite a bit to worry about! We worry about school; pleasing our parents; we worry about making the right choices; we worry about the choices our friends make; we worry about family issues; we worry about our futures; we worry about issues we have; we worry about our feelings for a special someone…the list goes on and on; and sometimes the issues are worse than others.


Sometimes, I will admit, it gets hard to remember sometimes that I have a God and father who is MUCH bigger than my problems. We worry, worry, and worry our heads off, and not remember that He is there to help us in our decisions and guide us. Sure, there’s a very good chance that we’ll encounter hurt, and pain (that’s a part of life) but He is going to help us grow from it. (Philippians 4:13)


We must all, as Christians, come to the realization that God is looking out for us, and is making a way for us to get through our lives (Romans 8:28, Jeremiah 29:11). It’s hard sometimes, but we have to trust Him, and allow Him to get us through the tough stuff. We may worry some, but we don’t need to worry so much that it consumes our entire being and allows us to forget that God is looking out for us.


Jesus warned about worrying in Matt. 6:25-34. To sum up what He said, He said that we shouldn’t worry because if we are living for God, then He will take care of us. Sure, He never said it would be easy, but, He said he’d give us what we need and help us.


I’ve been trying to relax about the things I need to do. I’m doing what I know I need to do, and He’ll see to it that the rest gets taken care of. It’s not easy because so many of us try to take on the weight of the world, but it’s such a comfort to know that we don’t really have to.

No comments: