Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lessons on Love



Part 6: Love for the Lost






I remember how tough it was to be a Christian in high school. There were very few that I remember who were actually Christians in my school. Some (note that I said SOME) of my friends really weren’t good friends for me-although in some ways they were. Some of them weren’t good for me in the fact that it really broke me down sometimes just having to deal with them. It really hurt sometimes knowing that they openly rejected Christ, and that they would probably never know His love. I remember a debate with a particular friend that left me in tears for about two and a half periods of the school day. Luckily, three of my other friends were there to cheer me up and comfort me.




In the way that they were good for me was that, in a way, my relationships with them actually strengthened my faith, and helped me to hang on to the Lord and persevere. But I also have learned better how to deal with people who don’t share my faith.




First, I’d like to say that allowing yourself to get super upset will break you more than help you. The day that I got upset over the issue with that particular friend, it broke me some. Looking back, what I should have done is to do my best not to let it get to me. I should have remembered what Jesus said: “If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first.” (John 15:18) Also remember that you will be persecuted for your faith. If you are living the way you should and proclaim the Lord’s name, you will have issues with those in the world (2nd Timothy 3:12).




Knowing this, how do we deal with those who are lost, and possibly persecute you? Again, as we’ve said in previous lessons, we still love them. Continue to treat them with respect and kindness (Luke 6:35), and don’t forget to pray for them (Matthew 5:44).




It’s definitely not an easy task to deal with non-Christians sometimes, but if we choose to love the way the bible describes, being gentle and kind, just think of how many souls could be won for Christ. I believe that the love of God will win people more than anything else. We need to stop and realize that our actions have a definite effect on how people view the Church and Christianity. Let us all remember to do good to everyone, and to love others.
I pray that all of you have been uplifted by this series of lessons!

No comments: